Tuesday, May 17, 2016

The Water-Saving Garden by Pam Penick

I have a water-saving garden, having replaced the lawn on our corner lot a few years ago. I used a landscaper for guidance on plants and planting, and, while I am satisfied with the results, I was interested to read my first book about such a garden. Pam Penick’s work is an excellent resource, as it starts with the rationale, descriptions and illustrations of well-established water-saving gardens in different parts of the country. Section two describes the process of designing the garden, including planning for water retention, use of proper materials, how to irrigate and choose soil and/or mulch, and where to add windbreaks in the form of trees, hedges, walls and fences. The last three sections concern choosing plants and when to plant them, as well as how to create the illusion of water if that is desired. This book is an excellent overview of the why and how of a water-saving garden. Having been through the experience of planting one, I found this book thorough but not overwhelming. I recommend it highly. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment